Building Consent Authorities

Building Consent Authorities

IANZ has been appointed by the Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) as the accreditation body that undertakes accreditation assessments against the requirements of the Building (Accreditation of Building Consent Authorities) Regulations 2006 (the Regulations). These requirements are further detailed in MBIE’s regulatory guidance for Building Consent Authorities (BCA), and Accredited Organisations (AO) accredited under the Regulations.

For comprehensive information on the BCA Accreditation Scheme, including guidance and information about how to apply for accreditation visit BCA Accreditation [] on the Building Performance website.

Requests for advice or guidance can be emailed to IANZ at or MBIE at

For all queries regarding registration as a Building Consent Authority please contact MBIE at

From 31 March 2009, only registered Building Consent Authorities (BCAs) have been permitted to perform building consenting and certifying functions in terms of the Building Act 2004. The Act provides for Territorial Authorities and private organisations to apply for registration as a BCA. Territorial Authorities also need to be registered as a BCA to carry out building control work on dams.